From: Prem Sabhlok < >
From: Sanjeev Newar < >
The Sikh Gurus have inspired us in an era that was perhaps the most challenging phase of our history. Sikhism represents a tradition that every Indian is proud of. One cannot forget the contributions of Sikh Gurus and their selfless sacrifices to consolidate the society, provide them direction and overthrow the rule of invaders. That is why the Sikh Gurus are revered not only by Sikhs but all nationalists in general as role models.
The medieval era represents the darkest phase of our society. Internally we were being eroded by termites of casteism, gender discrimination and overt ritualism dissociated from Vedas. And externally, we were being butchered by a tribe of most uncivilized society of west Asia – read the Ghaznis, Khiljis, Mughals, Slaves, Tughlaqs etc.
The Sikh gurus, in these turbulent times, lit the lamp of Vedic wisdom and steered the society towards the fundamental tenets of our culture – rationalism, actions and compassion.
Often there is dispute over whether Sikhism is part of Hinduism or a separate religion. In our view, this is a meaningless debate. Because the word Hinduism has different connotations. From a western mindset, Hinduism represents a mix of very specific rituals associated with casteism, gender discrimination and idol worship. If this be Hinduism, then Sikhs are definitely not Hindus.
However, if Hinduism is considered to mean the culture that is inspired from the philosophy of Vedas, then perhaps not many sects are more Hindu than Sikhs. Sikhism represents the message of Vedas in simple language of layman.
Let us see what makes Sikhism an extremely pure representation of Vedic wisdom (We shall ignore later day aberrations and focus on the key message of the noble Gurus):
– Sikhism rejects birth-based casteism and believes in equality of all
– Sikhism believes in gender equality
– Sikhism believes in protection of cows because it is one of the most useful gifts of God to humans
– Sikhism believes in actions as means to achieve God. Thus, they reject withdrawal from life.
– Sikhism believes in one single timeless shapeless omnipresent God whose best name is Onkaar (Om + Kaar). This is almost verbatim translation of Yajurveda 40.8.
– Sikhism believes in theory of Karma and rebirth
– Sikhism refuses the concept of Heaven/ Hell and believe in salvation as ultimate goal
– Sikhism believes in Nama Smaran or understanding the names and properties of God as way to achieve Him
– Sikhism considers Maya or ignorance as obstacle to salvation and urges to eradicate it through devotion, noble actions and knowledge
– Sikhism takes it as our utmost duty to fight against injustice of any kind. The lives of Sikh gurus exemplify this.
– Sikhism considers entire humanity as one family and refuses to have different treatments for people of different beliefs and religions.
The list can continue further. Note that if you replace Sikhism in above lines with ‘Vedic Dharma’ you would realize that the points still hold valid.
1. God created Vedas (Onkaar ved nirmaye– Rag Ramkali Mahla 1 Onkar Shabd 1)Further, the Guru Granth Sahib very clearly elucidates on the glory of Vedas:
2. With order of God Vedas were created so that humans can decide what is virtue and sin (Hari aagya hoye Ved paap punya vichaariya– Maru Dakhne Mahla 5 Shabd 17)
3. No one can value the importance of Rigveda, Yajurveda, Samveda and Atharvaveda (Sam Ved, Rig, Yajur, Atharvan brahme mukh maaiya hai traigun, taakee keemat kah na sakai ko….- Marusolahe Mahla 1 Shabd 17)
4. God created day, night, forests, greenery, water and 4 Vedas that are like 4 treasures (Chaar Ved chaare khaani– Rag Maru Mahla 5 Shabd 17)
5. How can glory of Vedas be stated whose knowledge is without end (Ved vakhaan kahahi ik kahiye, oh ve ant ant kin lahiye– Vasant Ashtapadiyan Mahla 1.3)
6. Of the infinite texts, Vedas are the best (Asankh granth mukhi Ved paath– Japuji 17)
7. All the Shastras, Vedas and ancient texts describe the Supreme Lord (Smriti sastra Ved puraan paar brahm ka karahi vakhiyaan– Gaund Mahla 5 Shabd 17)
8. Noble persons elucidate the glory of Vedas but unfortunate people do not understand (Ved bakhiyaan karat saadhujan bhaagheen samjhat nahi khalu– Todi Mahla 5 Shabd 26)
9. Study of Vedas enhances knowledge by blessings of God (Kahant Veda gunant guniya…- Sahaskriti Mahla 5.14)
10. Analysis of Vedas, Shastras and ancient texts enriches the entire family and makes them lucky (Ved puran saasatr vichaaram…. badbhaagi Naanak ko taaram– Gatha Mahla 5.20)
11. Vedas describe the glory of one God (Kal mein ek naam kripaanidhi … ih vidhi Ved bataavai– Rag Sortha Mahla 9 Shabd 5)
12. Do not say that Vedas are false. False are those people who do not analyze (Ved katev kahahu mat jhoothe jhootha jo na vichaare– Rag Prabhati Kabirji Shabd 3)
13. Those who studied Vedas were called Vedis. They initiated noble virtuous acts. Listening to Rigveda, Samveda, Yajurveda and Atharveda destroyed all sins. (Jinai Ved padhyo suvedi kahaaye… Padhe Sam Vedam Yajur Ved Kattham Rigam Ved paathayam kare bhaav hattham… Atharav Ved pathayam suniyo paap nathiyam…- Dasham Guru Granth Sahib Vichitra Natak Adhyaya 4)
To check more examples of glory of Vedas in Guru Granth Sahib refer the following:
14. Chauth upaaye chaare Veda- Rag Bilawal Mahla 1 Thiti
15. Chache chaar Ved jin saaje chaare khani chaar juga- Rag Asa Mahla 1 Pati Likhi Shabd 9
16. Oordh mool jis saakh talaaha chaar Ved jit laage- Gujri Ashtapadiyan Mahla 1.1
17. Chare Ved hoye sachiyaar- Asadi Var Mahla 1 Var 13
18. Chaturved mukh vachni uchre- Rag Gaudi Mahla 5 Shabd 164
19. Chaturved pooran hari naai Ramkali Mahla 5 Shabd 17
20. Chaar pukaarahi na tu maane Ramkali Mahla 5 Shabd 12
21. Chaar Ved jihwa bhane- Rag Sarang Mahla 5 Shabd 131
22. Brahme ditte Ved Rag Malar Var Mahla 2 Var 3
23. Chaare Ved Brahme kau diye padh padh kare vichari- Rag Asa Mahla 3 Shabd 22
24. Chaare Ved Brahme np furmaayia- Maaru Solahe 3.22
25. Chaare deeve chahu hath diye eka eki vaari- Vasant Hindol 1.1
26. Vedu pukaare vaachiye vaani brahm biaas- Shreeraag Ashtpadiyan 1.7
27. Vedan ganh bole sach koi- Maajh Vaar Mahla 1 Vaar 12
28. Deeva jale andhera jaai Ved paath mati paapan khaai- Raag Suhi
29. Ved pukaarai punn paap surag narak ka veeu- Raag Saarang Vaar 1.16
30. Gurumukhi parche Ved vichari- Raag Ramkali Sidh Gosht Shabd 28
31. Puchhahu Ved pandatiyaan muthi vin maane- Rag Maaru Ashtpadiyan 1.6
32. Man hath kine na paaiyo puchhahu Vedaam jaai- Shri Raag Vaar 3.10
33. Smriti saasat Ved vakhaanai bharmai bhoola tat na jaanai- Rag Maajh Ashtpadiyan 3.18
34. Veda mahi naam uttam so- Rag Ramkali Mahla 3 Aanand 19
35. Hari jeeu ahankaar n bhaavai Ved kook sunaavahi- Rag Maaru 3.9
36. Jugi jugi aapo aapna dharm hai sodh dekhahu Ved puraan- Rag Vilaaval 3.4
37. Saasat Ved puraan pukaarahi dharam karahu shat karam dradaiya- Vilaaval Mahla 4.2
38. Naanak vichaarahi sant jan chaar Ved kahande- Rag Gaudi Vaar 4.12
39. Vaani brahm Ved dharam dradahu paap tajaaiya bal raam jeeu- Suhi Chhant 4.2
40. Das ath chaar Ved sabh poochhahu jan naanak naam chhudaai jeeu- Maaru 4.8
41. Smrat saasat Ved vakhaane jog gyaansidh sukh jaane- Rag Gaudi 5.111
42. Ved puraan smrat bhane- Gaudi 5.144
43. Saasat smrat Ved vichaare mahaapurushan iu kahiya- Rag Gaudi 5.162
44. Ved saasat jan pukaarahi sunai nahi dora- Rag Aasa 5.152
45. Saasat Ved smriti sabhi….- Gujri 5.2
46. Chaar pukaarahi na tu maanahi- Ramkali 5.12
47. Kahant Veda gunant guniya- Salok sahaskriti Mahla 5.14
48. Ved puraan saasatr vichaaram- Gatha Mahla 5.20
49. Ved puraan saadh sang- Rag Gaudi 9.6
50. Ved puraan padhai ko ih gun simre hari ko naama- Rag Gaudi 9.7
51. Ved puraan jaas gun gaavat taako naam hiye mein dhar re- Gaudi 9.9
52. Ved puraan smriti ke mat sun nimash na hiye vasaavai- Rag Sorath 9.7
Now Guru Granth Sahib also consists of several verses that appear to be condemnation of Vedas. These are often cited to prove that Sikhism is a separate cult.
From Prem Sabhlok < >
From: Subodh Kumar < >
Vedas on Public Interest
Common property, Information, Corrupt behavior
Atharv Veda 5/18.
नैतां ते देवा अददुस्तुभ्यं नृपते अत्तवे !
मा ब्राह्मणस्य राजन्य गां जिघित्सो जनाद्याम् !! अथर्व 5/18/1
O King the wise counsel by the learned has not been given to you be treated like fodder.
अक्षद्रुग्धो राजन्य: पाप आत्मप्राजित: !
सा ब्राह्मणस्य गामद्यादद्य जीवानि मा श्व: !! अथर्व 5/18/2
Kings/Rulers overpowered by their personal desires, who ignore the wise counsel by the learned are self defeated, they may have the present but they have no future.
आविष्टिताघविषा पृदाकूरिव चर्मणा !
सा ब्राह्मनस्य राजन्य तृष्टैषा गौरनाद्या !! अथर्व 5/18/3
Such wise counsel ignored is like deadly poisonous reptiles in a leather pouch. These reptiles are blood thirsty, and once they start escaping due to hunger , from their hideouts they are impossible to hunt down.
(Can we not see the failures of our Indian rulers in proper handling of problems of deprived tribal people and the present ‘Naxalite’ situation?)
निर्वै क्षत्रं नयति हन्ति वर्चोSग्निरिवारब्धो वि दुनोति सर्वम् !
यो ब्राह्मणं मन्यते अन्नमेव सा विषस्य पिबति तैमातस्य !! अथर्व 5/18/4
Rulers who believe in strength, corner all wealth for personal gains, kill sane voices thinking that they are no physical threat, and banishes wise counsel , what they eat as food for their existence, is but a deadly potion that engulfs the entire nation in fire of an inferno. Such rulers earn hatred of every body.
य एनं हन्ति मृदुं मन्यमानो देवपीयुर्धनकामो न चित्तत् !
सं तस्येन्द्रो हृदयेSग्निमिन्ध उभे एनं द्विषो नभसी चरन्त्म् !! अथर्व 5/18/5
Greedy rulers who give importance to money, ignore and smother truth and the sane voices that oppose corrupt practices involved in illegal amassing of personal wealth, by ignoring sane voices considering them as soft and weak, do not realise that they stoking great violent fires.
न ब्राह्मणो हिंसितव्यो3ग्नि: प्रियतनोरिव !
सोमो ह्यस्म दायाद इ न्द्रो अस्याभिशस्तिपा: !! अथर्व 5/18/6
Knowledge and wisdom the two are like a beating heart in human body. They sustain the very life of a Nation. Ruler is duty bound to protect and promote growth of knowledge and think tanks. (Perform Som Yagya)
ष्ठां शतापा नि गिरति तां न शक्नोति नि:खिदन् !
अन्नं यो ब्रह्मणां मल्व: स्वाद्वद्मीति मन्यते !! अथर्व 5/18/7
These fools (the short sighted rulers) who feast to enjoy at the expense of public interests, do not realize that what they swallow down are not sweets but poisons with hundreds of barbs, that will tear him down.
जिह्वा ज्या भवति कुल्मलं वाङ्नाडीका दन्तास्तपसाभिदिग्धा: !
ते भिर्ब्रह्मा विध्यति देवपीयून्हृद्बलैर्धनुर्भिर्देव्जूतै: !! अथर्व 5/18/8
The tongue of the voiceless public becomes like a bow from which are shot the destructive arrows of public speech, very destructive arrows sharpened by the teeth of the public whose voice is ignored.
तीक्ष्णेषवो ब्राह्मणा ब्राह्मणाहेतिमन्तो यामस्यन्ति शरव्यां3 न सा मृषा !
अनुहाय तपसा मन्युना चोत दूरादव भिन्दन्त्येनम् !! अथर्व 5/18/9
The invisible missiles of the curse of ignored sane voices of the learned persons forming public, never goes astray. They annihilate to shatter the insensitive rulers, from behind.
ये सहस्रमराजन्नासन्दशशता उत !
ते ब्राह्मणस्य गां जग्ध्वा वैतहव्या: प्राभवन् !!अथर्व 5/18/10
There were thousands of rulers among whom hundreds usurped public wealth and turned deaf ears to wise counsel, they have all met with their fate.
गौरेव तान्हन्यमाना वैतहव्याँ वैतहव्याँ अवातिरत् !
ये केसरप्राबन्धायाश्चरमाजामपेचिरन्!! अथर्व 5/18/11
Such rulers are ultimately destroyed by their own deeds under public pressures of gravely feeling the hurt of being ignored and exploited.
एकशतं ता जनता या भूमिर्व्यधूनुत !
प्रजां हिंसित्वाब्राह्मणीमसंभव्यं पराभवन् !! अथर्व 5/18/12
Hundreds of such rulers are known to meet this end.
देवपीयुश्चरति मर्त्येषु मर्त्येषु गरगीर्णो भवत्यस्थिभूयान् !
यो ब्राह्मणं देवबन्धुं हिनस्ति न स पितृयाणमष्येति लोकम् !! अथर्व 5/18/13
अग्निर्वै न: पदवाय: सोमो दायाद उच्यते !
हन्ताभिशस्तेन्द्रस्तथा तद्वेधसो विदु: !! अथर्व 5/18/14
Only remedy lies in a highly organized intellectually driven positive public force to get mobilized in to action .
इषुरिव दिग्धा नृपते पृदाकूरिव गोपते !
सा ब्राह्मणस्येषुर्धोरा तया विध्यति पीयत: !! अथर्व 5/18/15
Immense fire power resides in the voice of the masses.
Maharshi Dayanand Gosamwardhan Kendra , Delhi-96
Shri MataJi Goushala, Barsanaa (Mathura) U.P.
Science is belief in the ignorance of Experts- Richard Feynmann
From: Vinod Karnik < >